it is possible to drink water that was part of the dinosaur era.
an acre of corn contributes more to humidity than a lake of the same size.
six gallons of water are needed to grow a single serving of lettuce.
more than 2,600 gallons is required to produce a single serving of steak.
49 gallons of water are used to produce just one eight-ounce glass of milk.
although three percent of the Earth’s water is fresh, only one percent is available for human consumption. In fact, if all the world’s water were fit into a gallon jug, the fresh water available for human use would equal only about one tablespoon.
80 percent of the Earth’s surface is water—it acts as an insulator and helps regulate global temperature.
water is the only substance found on Earth naturally in three forms—water can be solid, liquid, or gas.
Hippocrates, known as the father of medicine in ancient Greece, instructed people to boil and strain water before drinking it.
75 percent of the human brain is water.
the average person uses well over 133 gallons of water per day.
a 10-minute shower can produce up to 50 gallons of water.
about two gallons of water are utilized while brushing your teeth.
in 1872, the first United States water plant with filters was built in Poughkeepsie, NY.
for the price of a soft drink, Hicksville Water District can provide more than 1,000 gallons of drinking water.
1. How long can a human survive without water?
a. one day
b. one week
c. one month
d. two months
2. How much does one gallon of water weigh?
a. 3.52 pounds
b. 15.62 pounds
c. 8.34 pounds
d. 11.25 pounds
3. On average, how much water is used to hand wash a sink full of dishes?
a. 10 gallons
b. 20 gallons
c. 30 gallons
d. 50 gallons
4. How much water does an average Long Island lawn need per week?
a. 10 inches
b. one to two inches
c. less than one inch
d. five to six inches
5. Approximately how many gallons of water does it take to make four new tires?
6. Approximately how many gallons of water does it take to manufacture a new car?
7. How much water does it take to make one board foot of lumber?
a. 5.4 gallons
b. 2.3 gallons
c. 1.8 gallons
8. If everyone in America had a leaky faucet that dripped once per second, about how many gallons of water would be wasted each day?
9. In the United States, from what material were the first water pipes made?
c. fire-charred logs
10. About how many gallons of water are stored in Long Island’s aquifers?
a. 60 to 90 million
b. 20 to 45 billion
c. 50 to 90 billion
d. 65 to 120 trillion
11. There is fluoride in Long Island’s water.
True or False